Have you visited the beautiful Island of Crete and the region of Agios Nikolaos in the heart of Summer? Perfect weather conditions where most people dream of paddling. Sup on crystal clear waters of the Cretan Sea and experience the variety of its stunning beaches.
So take this unique opportunity this year and be part of the fun at the upcoming AGIOS NIKOLAOS on SUP – ICF SUP WORLD CUP 2023 – NATIONAL PANHELLENIC SUP CHAMPIONSHIP! Paddlers of all levels are invited to bask in the fantastic atmosphere.
It’s a very good motive to travel to sunny Crete and combine it with your vacations! Gain new friends from the international SUP community and create unforgettable SUP memories.
Register here: https://agiosonsup.gr/participation-form-2023/
Agios Nikolaos Cliff Diving (08 – 09/07/2023)
The AGIOS NIKOLAOS ON SUP – ICF World Cup 2023 – Panhellenic Championship will be held in parallel with the Cliff Diving event at Agios Nikolaos Lake (Lake Voulismeni)
For travelers seeking a unique and unforgettable experience in Crete, Agios Nikolaos is the perfect destination. Visitors can witness the exclusive high diving competition, where only the top athletes in the world are invited to participate based on their previous year’s results. The platform is built on natural cliffs, providing a stunning panorama of the city’s colorful houses and the majestic mountains in the distance. Beyond the diving competition, visitors can also enjoy live music, artistic shows, fireworks, food, drinks, and more, making this a truly exceptional event. If you haven’t yet visited Agios Nikolaos, now is the perfect time to do so and experience all that this remarkable destination has to offer.
Discover more about the region, activities, and secrets of the place on the official travel site of the municipality: https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com
*10 suggestions to experience the atmosphere of the region:
- Visit the beautiful beaches of Agios Nikolaos, such as Agios Panteleimonas, Havania, and Almyros, and enjoy the clear turquoise waters and white sand. Numerous organized & several remote beaches. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/beaches/
- Visit the Archaeological Museum of Agios Nikolaos and discover the rich history of the region. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/culture/museums-sights/archaeological-museum-of-agios-nikolaos/
- Take a boat trip to the island of Spinalonga, which was once a leper colony and is now a popular tourist attraction. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/culture/archaeological-sites/spinalonga/
- Visit the traditional Cretan village of Kritsa and explore its winding streets and charming shops. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/destinations/inland/kritsa/
- Take a hike in the beautiful mountain range of Sitia and enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding area. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/activities/cycling-trekking/
- Visit the Byzantine church of Panagia Kera and admire its beautiful frescoes. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/religion/panagia-kera/
- Go on a day trip to Elounda: Visit the picturesque fishing village of Elounda, located just a few kilometers away from Agios Nikolaos, and take a boat tour to the nearby island of Kalydon. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/destinations/elounda/
- Go scuba diving or snorkeling and explore the vibrant underwater world of the Aegean Sea. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/activities/kayak-diving/
- Enjoy the vibrant nightlife of Agios Nikolaos, with its many bars, clubs, and restaurants offering traditional Cretan food and drinks. https://www.agiosnikolaoscrete.com/experiences/gastronomy/cretan-products/
- Go shopping: Explore the local markets and shops of Agios Nikolaos, where you can find traditional handicrafts, souvenirs, and local products.
How to get here from the nearby airports:
- Heraklion Airport N. Kazantzakis (HER) https://www.heraklion-airport.gr/en
Heraklion Airport to Agios Nikolaos is 60 km (50 min by car)
The most convenient way to travel from Heraklion Airport to Agios Nikolaos is by taxi or by rental car.
Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport. The journey from Heraklion Airport to Agios Nikolaos takes approximately 50-60 minutes, depending on traffic. The cost of the journey will be around €80-100. It is advisable to agree on a price before setting off.
Rental Car: There are several car rental companies at the airport, and you can pre-book a car rental online before arriving. The drive from Heraklion Airport to Agios Nikolaos takes about an hour. The route is well-signposted, and the roads are generally in good condition. (https://clubcars.net/)
Public Transport: The cheapest option is to take the bus. There is a bus service that runs from the airport to Agios Nikolaos every hour, and the journey takes about 1 hour 20 minutes. The cost of the ticket is approximately €10-12 per person. However, this option may not be convenient if you have a lot of luggage or want to travel at specific times.
- Chania International Airport Ioannis Daskalogiannis (CHQ) https://www.chq-airport.gr/en
Chania International Airport to Agios Nikolaos is 206 km (2 hr 54 min by car)
The most convenient way to travel from Chania Airport to Agios Nikolaos is by rental car or by taxi.
Rental Car: There are several car rental companies at the airport, and you can pre-book a car rental online before arriving. The drive from Chania Airport to Agios Nikolaos takes about 2 hours. The route is well-signposted, and the roads are generally in good condition.(https://clubcars.net/)
Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport. The journey from Chania Airport to Agios Nikolaos takes approximately 2 hours and costs around €150-180, depending on traffic. It is advisable to agree on a price before setting off.
Public Transport: The cheapest option is to take the bus. There is a bus service that runs from Chania Airport to Agios Nikolaos, but you will have to change buses in Heraklion. The journey takes around 3-4 hours, and the cost of the ticket is approximately €20-25 per person. However, this option may not be convenient if you have a lot of luggage or want to travel at specific times.
-Sitia Municipal Airport “Vitsentzos Kornaros” (IATA: JSH, ICAO: LGST) is just a 1-hour & 15 minutes drive from Agios Nikolaos. This modern airport serves numerous destinations in Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Greece. Local buses and car rental companies are located near the airport. Website:
Lake Voulismeni is a former sweetwater small lake, later connected to the sea, located at the centre of the town of Agios Nikolaos. It connects to the harbour of the town by a channel dug in 1870.
According to legend, the goddess Athena bathed in it and a local urban legend has it that the lake is bottomless. It was reported that the German army during their withdrawal from the area at WW2, disposed parts of their weaponry and vehicles into the deep lake.
A panoramic view of the lake can be seen from a small park situated above.
Spinalonga was not an island, it was part of the island of Crete. During Venetian occupation the island was carved out of the coast for defence purposes and a fort was built. It was subsequently used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957.
There were two entrances to Spinalonga, one being the lepers’ entrance, a tunnel known as “Dante’s Gate”. This was so named because the patients did not know what was going to happen to them once they arrived.
Today, the uninhabited island is a popular tourist attraction in Crete with tourist boats departing from all three towns around Spinalonga on a daily basis.
The coastline of Agios Nikolaos has numerous sandy beaches, most of which are awarded with blue flags, supported by local beach bars, cantines & taverns.
Due to their prompt location the beaches are considered of the safest on the island of Crete, providing calm turquise waters to swim, play and relax in.
The Marina of Agios Nikolaos is a well protected marina in all weather conditions, it is built to European standards and is capable of accommodating up to 255 boats all year round.
The Marina of Agios Nikolaos is located in the heart of the town and provides easy access to the centre of town, the main archaeological sites and other places of interest.
See the distances from the airports of Chania and Heraklion, and the Heraklion port.